PDA

View Full Version : Changing "document root" for domains

downforce
11-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey,

I currently own the .com.au and .net.au of my business name.

Long story short, I've decided I want to swap the content of these domains so everything at .com.au to now be associated with .net.au.

What I can't figure out in cPanel is how to change the setting which points to document root (and this also applies to sub-domains as well).

I know I can delete it and re-create it but then I need to make sure all the sub-domains and email accounts/forwarders are setup and TBH that's just a royal PITA. I did it with some sub-domains and bloody hell, took me hours to make sure they were all backup and running.

What I'd like to be able to do is:
1. Copy the entire current live directory (say) /comau to a new working directory, say /new_netau.
2. Reconfigure all the relevant config files in /new_netau to point to the .net.au domain instead of .com.au
3. Change the location of document root .net.au from /netau to /new_netau.
4. If I've borked the /new_netau I can just point it back to /comau and continue on as if nothing happened.

Strangely enough I know how to do this on an Apache server I have full access to, but you don't get that on Shared Hosting ;)

Is this either possible by myself, possible via helpdesk or not possible and have to delete/recreate?

downforce
11-28-2007, 06:33 PM
*cough*bump*cough*

admin
11-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Hmmm.

Um should this line:

3. Change the location of document root .net.au from /netau to /new_netau.

actually be:

3. Change the location of document root .net.au from /comau to /new_netau.

??